Thursday, July 18, 2013

An Indian Compliment ...

Usually when I am spending time with the boys at the boys hostel, playing football, eating over lunch etc, the boys, if they say anything about me it will be "Oh brother James you are very fat" or "are you going to Pagadupattu to buy more snacks?" or "If you sit on Simon Sir's horse you will crush it." However the other night for the first time in all my time here they said to me "Brother James, you were much fatter when you came, you have lost your big belly." This Indian compliment made me very happy indeed, especially from these boys!

It has been a long time since my last blog, blogging everyweek seems to be a lot harder now that I am teaching lessons in the day also. Teaching is going well, I am really enjoying it although it can be hard work with such a span of abilities. The school is getting an athletics and football team ready for the Salem district competition which is in mid-August, it has been so much fun watching the teams practice and helping where I can. Which admitedly is usually playing football with the team, running at the small Indian boys often knocking them over (by accident) and even more often ending up on the ground myself. Its okay though, these kids are tough and I only have a few bruises!

Since my last blog I have been to a second wedding, which was very fun indeed, and I have attended a local coming of age ceremony, actually of one of my students. In the coming of age ceremony, the first sign of puberty for a girl allows the parents to begin to organise a huge party in honour of her becoming a woman. You would think that due to the sensitivity and the privacy of the subject in which the party is hosted in aid of, that the girl who has come of age, would be embarrased. However it is the complete opposite, the girl loves the fuss and attention, and all the family enjoy a nice chicken Biryani to celebrate her first step into Womanhood.

Other than this, I have been to Bangalore for a shopping trip with all the female variety of the families here. Bangalore was so different to life here in a tribal hill village. The way that men and women act towards each other, the clothes and the food is a lot more western. The 7 hour shopping trip was lots of fun but was tainted with slight sadness as the next day it was Pippa's flight back home. Pippa has been with Hannah and I since we came into India so it is rather strange her not being around and we are definitely going to miss her!
There is only a couple more weeks until we leave India, I am excited to see everyone in England again, however it will be sad to leave this lovely area and lovely country!

Blog again soon (sooner than last time)
James

No comments:

Post a Comment