Friday, May 3, 2013

N E 1 4 A Swim?

The title to this blog was a clue in a treasure hunt that we did this week for the home kids. This clue led to a clue that was on the outside of Simon and Sarah's empty swimming pool. The treausure hunt was an activity as part of the holiday club that Hannah, myself and the other volunteers have organised and lead this week. In this holiday club we had an hour in the morning of worship, prayer a drama, a themed talk (which was the life of Simon Peter) and discussion groups. Each day then continued with crafts and a big organised game in the afternoon, one of which being a treasure hunt.

Since the last time I blogged it seems to have got hotter and there still hasn't been any rain. However on the plus side I have been introduced to many knew and Indian things that are amazing. The volunteers of a female variety went to Salem 2 Fridays ago, meanwhile, myself and another volunteer headed into Pagadupattu. He showed me some wonderful Indian snacks to buy, I have consequently become rather obsessed with a fried snack called Murikew, a mango drink called Mazza and some small spherical coconut snacks which were simply divine. Also since my previous blog I have seen much more wildlife, I have seen a scorpion about 4 inches long (admittedly not alive), a similar sized garden lizard and a kingfisher, not to mention thousands of pesky ants.

The volunteer I have been housesitting with is leaving today and it'll be a real shame to see him go, it has been really nice to share a house with him and he and I have got on really well, one time staying awake until 3 am listening to music and chatting. I think that he will definitely be missed by all of the children here. Over the last two weeks I have got to know the kid really well, and I have just learnt there names. A few times it has been rather embarrasing when I have accidently called a child by the name of a Hindu God when their name is something completely different. So far I have called one child Vishnu and another Ganesh (they didn't even look remotely like an elephant), I am just waiting for me to call someone Hanuman to have a full set of Hindu God names that none of the Children are called.

Out here I have been a lot more disciplined with my daily devotionals and have been studying Acts. I think something that I feel challenged by with this is the lack of fasting in my prayer life and the shortness of prayers. I admittedly sometimes struggle to think of what to pray for, especially for myself. But I also think I so rarely fast to aid my prayer. I do not know why this is as even Jesus and the apostles placed lots of importance on this so why don't I. That is one thing that has been running through my mind recently.

Blog again soon.
James

No comments:

Post a Comment