Monday, June 3, 2013

Slapalaka

Everyone was laughing after my attempt to say goodnight in Dutch to some parents of a Dutch volunteer who came over for a week. Slapalaka was not remotely close to the evening fairwell in Dutch. This sums up how my attempts with language here in India has been. I have been trying to learn morsels of Tamil so eventually I could utter a fragmented Tamil sentence, but all attempts seem futile. I can say the essential word in Tamil (porum) absolutely fine, as if i didn't i would be being fed far too much as the word is to say 'enough' of something. However, whenever i attempt with 'how are you?' which is along the lines of 'Na La Ilkin La' giggles erupt from those i am addressing as I seem to be saying it completely wrong.

Recently us volunteers took a small trip further South in India to Kerala, a place called Kovalam. Despite the constant staring at girls, the continual street selling and the vastness of stray dogs, i loved visiting the beachside sights of Kovalam. We even got a chance to ride an elephant, which was such an amazing experience, even though our promised 30 minutes turned into 10 along a road! Back in Pagadupattu the children have all come back from holiday and we are getting on great with them. One day one of the boys shouted to me to come see a snake, of which i was slightly to late and only glimpsed its back as it was slithering away in its hole. We also spotted a snake sun bathing near a pond, we were a safe distance away to see it slither into the water. I have seen some crabs in the local brook as well and had the oppourtunity to hold a baby chipmunk.

I am trying to get fit, due to the constant cultural reference to me being "very fat" and the persistent question of the boys as to whether I am off to get some snacks. I tried to do football practice and exercises with them one day - i did half of the warm up and felt faint and dizzy, the next few days i spent with sore legs and a shocked mind that these 14 year old and younger boys were so much fitter than me.

I have been reading Exodus lately which is challenging and rewarding. It makes me feel so grateful that we can approach God without creating a golden plated Ark of the Covenant and wear the weird clothes Aaron had to wear. The last couple of weeks have been tough for the families and volunteers here, but it is amazing how God has shown himself. It is amazing to see his hand in everything that happens here on the compound and to see how proud he is of everyone here. Last thursday i led worship for the all women cell (except me) which was a great oppourtunity to lead worship for the first time. This thursday i am leading the word which I am going to do on our identity in Christ.

Please continue to pray for protection for everyone here and energy.

Blog Again Soon (BAS)
James

No comments:

Post a Comment